Online Geology Courses : Learn about the science behind the current exploration of the solar system in this free class. Use principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and geology to understand the latest from Mars, comprehend the outer solar system, ponder planets outside our solar system, and search for habitability in our neighborhood and beyond. This course is generally taught at an advanced level assuming a prior knowledge of undergraduate math and physics, but the majority of the concepts and lectures can be understood without these prerequisites. In this Online Geology Courses The quizzes and final exam are designed to make you think critically about the material you have learned rather than to simply make you memorize facts. The class is expected to be challenging but rewarding.
Offered by: Caltech
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering research and education institution, where extraordinary faculty and students seek answers to complex questions, discover new knowledge, lead innovation, and transform our future. Caltech’s mission is to expand human knowledge and benefit society through research integrated with education. We investigate the most challenging, fundamental problems in science and technology in a singularly collegial, interdisciplinary atmosphere, while educating outstanding students to become creative members of society.
What you will learn from this course
- Unit 1: Water on Mars (week 1)
- Unit 1: Water on Mars (week 2)
- Unit 1: Water on Mars (week 3)
- Unit 2: The insides of giant planets (week 1)
- Unit 2: The insides of giant planets (week 2)
- Unit 3: Big questions from small bodies (week 1)
- Unit 3: Big questions from small bodies (week 2)
- Unit 4: Life in the solar system (week 1)
- Unit 4: Life in the solar system and beyond (week 2)
- Final exam